Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Age of Robots - Part I

This is part one in a four part rant on the oncoming "Age of Robots"

I get asked a lot how an high school English teacher is so emphatically interested in the field of robotics. I suppose that in a stereotypical and somewhat satirical sense, I should be more infatuated with fine literature. I, of course, am. In fact, my concentration in college revolved around post-colonial literature from South Asia. However, if you take a step back, all fields of study are really interconnected are they not? I consider myself a student of the human condition.

Even as an English teacher, I attempt to bestow more than just a working knowledge of grammar, fluency in classic novels, or the nitty gritty aspects of the works of Shakespeare. I, along with many of my compatriots, focus on life skills and try our best to not only train the next generation to be competitive in the workforce, but also the next generation of decent human beings. Society is evolving at an exponential rate. Like it or not, things change. While at times these changes are for the better; other times they are most certainly for the worse. The fact of the matter is that if you don't "roll with the times," you will be swept away or left behind. It is important to realize, however, that the changes in the life and times of planet Earth are not on a fixed path. There are still ways to guide this ship safe to shore. These guiding winds lie within you, your thoughts, and your actions.

I remember reading a lot about robots of the future while growing up in the early 1990's. At that time, the thought of that kind of technology was always seen through a lens of awe. It was as if we were peering through a looking glass over the horizon of the future. These were exciting times. Now, more than twenty years later, we are taking our first steps towards that future. However, if you do a Google search today for robots, the majority of articles now speak of a plague on the horizon. A plague that will take your job and put you into poverty. We certainly are a curious species.

R.A.D The Robot (1990's)

The truth is like I have previously stated. That time... is here now. We certainly cannot live in fear of human advancement or shun those who would seek to discover it. We have adapted before and we will continue to adapt as a species. This is truly an exciting time and good things are in the future if we work for it.

This first entry is to serve as a sort of introduction to what I want to cover. The second and third installments will be dedicated to some popular culture in the world of robotics as well as some practical applications that it can have in K-12 education.

For those who are interested or want to get a jump start on what I am going to be covering, here are some starting points.









No comments:

Post a Comment