Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Denim Deficiency

After many hours and many cups of coffee, this first week of school has finally come to a close. While it was a lot of work, I can happily say that I am settling into this new position nicely! Now, with the long weekend just beginning, I can sit down, put my feet up, and and do what I do best. Reflect.

This, of course, brings me to a tradition which I hold very dear. A certain tradition that I was introduced to during my first year on the job. Perhaps providing a little back story may clear things help you to understand. To my knowledge, many professions follow a similar tradition taking place on the Friday of every week.


Casual Fridays.


The idea is sound. A way to wind down the work week by allowing associates to ditch the suit and tie for something more comfortable. Jeans are a must for casual Friday.

I, personally, am indifferent towards denim.

In any event, at first I was elated at the concept of dressing down. After all, who doesn't love Fridays? Even better, who doesn't love to be reminded that it is, in fact, Friday? Thus, for several months I participated in the event, waded around in comfort, and was unsatisfied.

I started to think on the notion that many students believe that teachers are not real people. I know I felt the same way when I was in high school. I used to think that teachers went home and did teacher stuff. Teachers did not go to movies. They did not play video games. The list goes on and on. Perhaps a dress-down Friday was also a way to make the teachers seem more normal, albeit slightly, to students.

Regardless, the plain and simple truth of the matter is that I am not normal. That is why I got into teaching in the first place. That, and to save the world, of course. Enter...


Bow Tie Friday.


The truth of the matter is that many people have only worn a bow tie a few times in their life. Wearing one to your senior prom, or your retirement party. You may not notice yet, but this phenomenon of sorts is sweeping the nation. Bow ties have made a resurgence. Much like Nutella, or The Psychedelic Furs have. Perhaps wearing a bow tie is my way of going against social mores. Going in the opposite direction and choosing something that is considered more formal as opposed to less formal.

Or it could just be that I just look so good in them. So good.


The first Bow Tie Friday of the 2012-2013 school year

They really are not that expensive either. In fact, I get the majority of my bow ties on eBay for 99 cents each. Of course, I consider myself very skilled at sniping auctions. It is all part of the fun.

Its fun.

So now is the time to act. Self-tie or clip-on. Find a bow tie and help me on my journey to restore formality and dapperness to the human race.

Some starting points...


  1. Article from Examiner
  2. Article from The Wall Street Journal
  3. A great place to snag your own bow ties




No comments:

Post a Comment